Avoid any delays and unexpected problems when you take your RV or motorhome out for what should be a relaxing trip.
Follow some of our suggestions below, and consider investing in some maintenance and safety classes to help ensure happy travels across Arizona and beyond.
Take Care of Your Tires
- When you're not traveling the lake, or some other destination, keep your RV/motorhome tires covered to protect them from the sun and weather.
- Make sure you check your tire pressure before setting out on the road especially when your tires are cold.
- Consult the owner's manual for proper inflation, and never exceed the maximum pressure indicated on the tire's sidewalls for your vehicle.
Weigh Your RV and Tow Vehicle
To know if weight is properly distributed and that you are within legal weight, find a certified platform scale and get weighed. Have the vehicle fully loaded with passengers, cargo, fuel, personal belongings, fresh water and propane tanks to get an accurate weight.
Understand Propane and Gas Systems
Have the propane and gas systems inspected every spring for leaks and proper appliance operating pressure before you head out on vacation. Be sure you know how your RV alerts you to leaks, and know what to do if one occurs.
Here are some easy things to do if you smell gas/propane:
- Extinguish any open flames and pilot lights.
- Do not touch electrical switches.
- Shut off gas supply at the tank valve(s) or gas supply connection.
- Open the doors and windows and leave until the smell clears.
- Have the gas system checked and repaired by a qualified technician before using again.
Use the Onboard Generator Sparingly
The onboard generator gives you extra power when there's no shore power available, but be wary of carbon monoxide.
- Never sleep with the generator running, and before you start the generator, inspect the exhaust system.
- Test the carbon monoxide detector, and know the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning so you can watch out for it.
Looking to review your RV insurance?? Make sure you're not overpaying - request an RV insurance quote online at www.iigroupinc.com or call us at 623-322-5955
Have a great summer!